[pyrnet] dog fight question

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate any comments anyone might have about a new situation we have
here.

Last week Bear (neutered male) became ill quite suddenly and had emergency
surgery to remove stones from his urethra.  He was at the vets for 4 days
and came home shaved, wearing one of those silly elizabethan collars, and I
guess, smelling funny to a highly developed canine nose.

Belle (neutered female), his mum took one look at him and went for him.  He
gave as good as he got.  No harm done in terms of physical damage as it was
very brief and I was able to wade in and break it up.  However they are
still very uncomfortable when they see each other.  Bear remains inside
until he is fit to go out and until then only goes out for pee breaks and
short supervised walks.

They are very guarded with each other and can be in the same room until one
of them makes eye contact, then it's growls again.  Stern words from me put
a stop to it.

What to do?  Will it pass as Bear regains his normal appearance and
smell?  Should I leave them to it and hope they sort it out themselves
(probably not I think but I wonder if my intervention is making things
worse.  How could they be worse, apart from bloodshed....)

I wonder why this is happening.  Is it the strangeness of him that is
causing it? Or maybe Belle is jealous as he's inside all the time.  I've
been making a fuss of her and giving her little treats and bringing her
inside when Bear is in his room.

They normally live outside together, the best of pals, going everywhere
together and often sleeping snuggled up in the same chair.  I'm afraid they
may never peacefully co-exist again and we will have to let one of them go.

Any advice, experiences etc gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mary.