Re: [pyrnet] Estagel and Estat d'Argeles Of Basquaerie, etc.

In a message dated 12/2/2002 7:13:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, morri051@tc.umn.edu writes:

>Does anyone have any information on the personality and temperament of
Estat
>and Estagel as well as any other historical dogs?

Mrs. Crane described many dogs in detail in her books.  I have never thought that she thought any of them were overly aggressive, shy, etc., in the main.  One will always find an individual occasionally, but the group as a whole little or no problems in this area.  Estagel and Estat were probably written about as much as any dogs of the time.  Nothing but praise for both of them from a large group of people who wrote about them.

<< How did they do with other animals and people?  Were they ever obedience
> trained or something like that?>>

Appropriately for the breed.  Obedience was never mentioned in these early 20th Century French Pyrs that contained the genestock that gives of all our dogs.

<< How did they do with other animals and people?  Were they ever obedience
> trained or something like that?>>

Absolute rubbish.  I have seen said this over the years in sporadic comments, but it is dead wrong.  Temperament in France is much better than in North America and our temperament in the main is fine (a few exceptions noted, but the group in the main).  I know of only one breeder in France who has timid dogs in France, but that's it.  In the 18 years we have been going over I have seen maybe 1500 Pyrs.  They are wonderful dogs with something special we do not have in our dogs here.  Something indefinable, but one knows its there nonetheless.

<<I had considered, some day, importing from France but not if they're
> aggressive.>>

Temperament is not the thing to be concerned about.  Hips and knees are the major problem one might encounter with a French import.  Do your homework.  Communicate with French breeders,  Study everything you can.  Visit as often as you can.  Same way you would do here.  These things will increase the likely hood of success.

Good luck.

Joe