Re: [pyrnet] Hi protein

> <<Prior to that, dogs ate
> table scraps and whatever was cut away while trimming both meats and
> vegetables as well as breads from their owners foods. A lot of what was
> trimmed was done so prior to cooking. So they were getting raw, whole
> foods.>>
>
> And this means what exactly?  That they were healthier?  That they lived
> longer?  I suspect that mostly it means that nothing else was available
and
> that people didn't give a whole lot of thought to what their dogs ate..or
> did for that matter.  Or how healthy they were.  Or how long they lived.
> Only in the late 20th century did people have enough leisure time and
money
> to even think much about it.

Well, one comment about our Tibetan Mastiff.  When these dogs lived with
their people in Tibet, they ate what ever they could find.  The people had
limited food supplies, and any extra food would have been shared with the
dogs.  As for the health -- basically it was survival of the fittest.
Possibly the early TMs were healther than they are today but the death rate
was much higher.

While we had no power for the past 3 1/2 days, I took the opportunity to
catch up on my magazine reading.  There was an article in "Your Dog", a
publication by the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine about
feeding raw food.  According to Rebecca Remillard, Veterinary Nutritionist
for MSPCA Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, the raw meat which is obtained
from the local grocery store is contaminated with several different types
of microbes, viruses, and parasites.  If you plan to feed raw food, it
should be fresh killed, otherwise dogs can become sick from salmonella, E.
coli, and Yersinia, to mention a few.

--- Robyn Allwright
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees & Tibetan Masti