Re: [pyrnet] Hi protein

On 9 Dec 2002 at 17:11, Robyn Allwright wrote:
> There was an article in "Your
> Dog", a publication by the Tufts University School of Veterinary
> Medicine about feeding raw food.  According to Rebecca Remillard,
> Veterinary Nutritionist for MSPCA Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, the
> raw meat which is obtained from the local grocery store is
> contaminated with several different types of microbes, viruses, and
> parasites.  If you plan to feed raw food, it should be fresh killed,
> otherwise dogs can become sick from salmonella, E. coli, and Yersinia,
> to mention a few.

It seems the raw feeders fail to see this.  I'm sorry but even fresh killed is not safe.  It
seems the only people that really know this are those of us that were born and raised
on farms and never fed our dogs raw meat.  We cooked it first.  Mycobacterium was
one of the problems and virtually back then we had people vaccinated against tb and
now we're saying don't need vaccines anymore because it's eliminated.  Dogs that
get tuberculosis are those that get leftovers from butchering on farms and pass it on
to humans.  It's now popping up because of practices in raising chickens, etc, the
crowding, the farming approach, and people are feeding raw meat to their dogs.

The fda has what's called the bad bug book:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/intro.html
and mycobacterium is not even mentioned.

And just for your information there is also a natural pathogen in honey for all those
who want unprocessed honey because it's healthier.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices/
Hutto, TX