[pyrnet] Young Pyr Height and Weight

It depends on bloodlines but generally Pyrs don't reach 170 + lbs.  There
could be dogs I'm not aware of but they are supposed to be large, yet
elegant.  Bone should not be too light nor too heavy.  Many people confuse
them with Saint Bernards and Newfoundlands but they are usually (and
supposed to be) much more elegant in the face and body with less droop and
skull *and* their legs aren't supposed to look like huge round barrels, if
you know what I mean.

Usually we over estimate our dog's weight due to height and coat, I've done
it too.  :)  However, with backyard breeders it's hard to tell what the more
recent dogs in the lines had been bred for.  Many think they're supposed to
be HUGE.  Many don't care.

Yes, there are lines that mature slower than others.  One particular English
breeder even said their lines (Show and Mountain....if you want to
distinguish....not sure of all kennel names) took around five years to fully
mature!

Our youngest Pyr, Rollie, just turned two.  I've not measured or weighed him
for a few months but he was about 31 inches at the shoulders (an inch taller
than his sire) and I'd really have to have him weighed....I can't tell.  All
I know is he loves to eat and we have to watch he doesn't get to "feeling"
too fat.

His sire, as said, is 30 inches and his dam is 26 1/2 in.  His paternal
grandparents are 30 in., his maternal grandsire is about 31-32 in. and
maternal graddam is 25 in.  Rollie is also an outcross breeding which I'm
told will sometimes help with size.

He's neither heavy or light boned so far....of course, neither are his
parents.  His Mother took what seemed like forever to fill out.  She didn't
really 'til just before turning three.  His sire did at about two or so.

I guess it just depends.  :)

Chrissy