Re: [pyrnet] Bloodline ---slow grower...

No, that's O.K.  :)  Wish I could block *all* the junk I get....takes up all
my space and wastes my time deleting them.  :)

1st- my private e-mail...yes, it is having problems but because of me.  I
was getting so many junk messages that I applied a fairly restrictive
filter.  I get e-mails from the pyrnet and my family etc. but all others are
blocked.  (snip)....if you would like I could set it up so your e-mails to
me do not bounce.  Just let me know.<<<<
<<<<

Let's see....

Now, I'm looking most of this up in the book "The New Complete Great
Pyrenees" by Paul Strang and using what limited knowledge I have of certain
lines' development so if anyone knows something different or catches a
mistake I've made please let me know.  :)

Marwell is the kennel of Ruth Marcy in Alaska, current GPCA President.

It says they finished championships on two Wolfsong (Charles Bergland,
Alaska) dogs who go to Tip 'N Chip (originally Mrs. Peavey and her daughter
Judith Bankus-Cooper, now Judy and her daughters Marcy Bankus and Lauri
Gottschalk in Illinois).  It also says they outcrossed to Skeel (Evelyn &
Ned Stuart of Idaho) and there was some Soleil (Dorothy and Jack Magoffin of
Kansas) which makes sence as Skeel's foundation were from Soleil.

I hope I'm not confusing anyone.  :)

Soleil had a dog "Sunshine O'Cobermere" which I assume is the same as
Combermere (Mr. and Mrs. Lord's Combermere Island kennel in Ontario, Canada)
and consisted of de Soum and de Langladure as I read it.  By the way, now
that we're back this far, let me recommend the book "The Great Pyrenees" by
Mary W. A. Crane and the Pyrenean Journal website by Joe Gentzel at

http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/Pyrenean_Journal.html

or this e-mail could get verrrry lengthy.  :-)

Now, Soleil also had Basquaerie (Mary and Francis Crane in Massachusetts,
founders of the breed in the US and importing many wonderful dogs....see her
book and the Pyr Journal) and some Pondtail (Joan Passini-Birkett in
England) which has some Basquaerie and French de Soum through Bedat de Monda
who used to be Bedat de Soum (am I right here, Joe, anybody) (probably
something else too).

I don't see Gates but their Romy's direct breeders right?

Kaskadian (Mike Floyd in Washington state) started with de Costa Lota (Anita
and Allan Baab), then acquired an original Pyr Haven from Fran Bennet in
California who was of "Old California" breeding and went back to Basquaerie.
  It seems the main contributor to Kaskadian was Euzkotar (Linda and
Lawrence Weisser also of Washington state).  It says they consist of Old
California bloodlines with occasional outcrosses.  Foundation was a
combination of Quibbletown (Edith K. and Seaver Smith, Jr. of
Massachusetts....more in a minute), Rhopyr (for some reason I can't find it,
must be overlooking), heavily bred on Basquaerie.  They also have some
Balibasque {Carolyn and Bruce Hardy of Pennsylvania and going back to Bator
de Esterhazy (Frank Koller) and Basquaerie} and Karolaska (Carol and Rick
Kentopp currently of Washington state and consisting of Quibbletown and
Balibasque).

Tip 'N Chip (owners above) started with Basquaerie and Soleil, then brought
in some Quibbletown.  They also helped and bred with Rivergrove (Jean Groves
Boyd and Wayne Boyd in Maryland) who started with Me Llamo Tonya de
Montbleu, CDX, HOF, then added Poco Pyrs (which I know I've seen but can't
seem to find right now), Tip 'n Chip and some Karolaska through Summerhill
(Lynne and Gary Gomm of Texas consisting primarily of Tip 'n Chip with
outcrosses to Karolaska) inparticular a dog owned by Jan Brown.

Your balance of Rivergrove and Skeel is above so lets finish with
Quibbletown.  :)

Quibbletown (owners above) started with Cote de Neige which was owned by
Marjorie Butcher from Canada, educated in Switzerland, sang for the
Washington Opera Comany and then moved to Massachusetts and then to
Connecticut.  Cote de Neige was basically Basquaerie which included de Soum,
de Langladure and then Ch. Zayda Van Euskara from Holland.

Quibbletown linebred their dogs and outcrossed to Ch. Lorvaso de La Colina
who was a grandson of Ch. Lawrence Of Combermere.  They also owned Ch.
Karolaska Glacier, HOF (Hall Of Fame) but, of course, Karolaska goes back to
Quibbletown and Balibasque.

Links to information about Quibbletown, Cote de Neige, de Soum and all sorts
of other things can be found at the Pyrenean Journal listed above.

The Chantrelle in Romy's sire's name indicates Carol Beck of Washington
state.  Is he owned by Carol or Ruth?  I know Carol has some Karolaska and
probably others that go to Karolaska, Quibbletown, etc.

What's Romy's dam's name?

Now, what I "know" so far is, my guys are primarily Karolaska and
Quibbletown with some Tip 'n Chip, etc. in our old girl and European in our
Swedish import.  *Most* of the time it seems, just as I've been told, that
dogs with more Quibbletown mature sooner than dogs with more Karolaska but
there are exceptions.  My old girl (Tip 'n Chip, Quibbletown, Karolaska,
"various working lines") didn't start to fill out until right before turning
three and the Swedish seems to be pretty well done at two.

Like I said before, I think it just kind of depends.  :)

Chrissy  :)

> [...]

Marwell's       62%
Gates           19%
Kaskadian       10%
Tip'n'chip        5%
Balance       4% (rivergrove, quibbletown, and skeels).

Now this significant relations stuff is not for the light of heart.  I went
back 6 generations and calculated appropriate genetic weighting assuming
even heritability from one generation to the next. I found some real neat
info on-line that helped me make the correct calculations.

For a quick and simple answer, Romy's dad is CH Marwell's Chantrelle O'Henry
(who is #8 in the US right now on the all breed system for Great Pyr's).

Our breeder (Debbie Gates) told us to expect Romy to grow until 4 yrs (based
on this bloodline and her experience with these dogs).

Happy Holidays!

Keith, Soo, Dusty, and Romy<<<<
<<<<

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=