Re: [pyrnet] Bloodline ---slow grower...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chrissy McConnell" <chrissy_mcconnell@hotmail.com>

Now, I'm looking most of this up in the book "The New Complete Great
Pyrenees" by Paul Strang and using what limited knowledge I have of certain
lines' development so if anyone knows something different or catches a
mistake I've made please let me know.  :) >>

There are a few problems with this approach.  The Strang book is pretty
"old" (boy that's hard to believe!! ) and a lot of the breeder information
is outdated.  Some breeders have changed approach or added different
bloodlines etc.  Really old information, like founder information is
interesting historically, but essentially meaningless to anyone breeding
and/or making choices today.  While all of us often say that we have this or
that line, the only dogs that truly represent a line are those bred by the
"owner" of that kennel name.  Dogs who represent that person's choices or
vision.  It is possible to totally change the look of a line in 2 or 3
generations.  Dogs who would hardly be recognized by the owner of the kennel
name being cited.  And unless you truly know the dogs that bear those kennel
names and know something about the look, direction and shape of that kennel
and the breeder's choices, generalizations about anything can't really be
made.

IOW, knowing all this about Romy's background lends very little useful
information to the discussion of his weight or rate of maturity.  Knowing
the specific pattern of his parents and grandparents may help.

<<The Chantrelle in Romy's sire's name indicates Carol Beck of Washington
state.  Is he owned by Carol or Ruth?  I know Carol has some Karolaska and
probably others that go to Karolaska, Quibbletown, etc.>>

I'm not entirely sure this is anybody's business, but I'll share since the
question was asked.  Henry (Romy's sire) was bred by Ruth and sold to Carol
as a puppy.  Hence the kennel names.  When Carol decided that she didn't
want him he went to Debbie Gates.  I believe that Ruth arranged the move to
Debbie.  He is currently living in Alaska with Ruth.

Linda