Re: [pyrnet] Help... Please!

<< I just found out that my 11+ year old Springer/Cocker cross has an
auto-immune disease called Myositis. Have you heard of it before? I'm a bit
nervous that my Pyr rescue Eiger could get it thru drinking out of the same
water bowl.>>

Myositis of the Masticatory Muscles/Atrophic Myositis etc is not contagious.
It is, as you say, an auto-immune conditions (as are things like Diabetes,
Cushings, Addisons etc etc).  I have a friend who has a dog with MMM.  Here
are some links she has provided to me in the past for other people:

 Following are some sites re masticatory myositis ( which can be an
interchangeable term with atrophic myositis)that may be helpful:

***********

1."Canine masticatory muscle disorders
G. Diane Shelton, DVM, PhD; and George H. Cardinet III, DVM, PhD":
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromuscular/masticat.pdf
Please note:you will need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader in order
download this 4 pg. article. To download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader
you can go to this
site:http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

2."May 1999 - Most Commonly Asked Questions about Masticatory Muscle
Myositis"
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromuscular/case.html#May

3."NEUROMUSCULAR DISORDERS AFFECTING YOUNG DOGS AND CATS: ABSTRACT
             G. DIANE SHELTON DVM, PhD"
http://www.neurovet.org/Shelton1/SheltonAbstract.htm#Shelton1 abstract

4."NEUROMUSCULAR CASE OF THE MONTH - JANUARY 2002
MASTICATORY MUSCLE MYOSITIS IN A 13 WEEK OLD MALE SALUKI MIX DOG"
http://medicine.ucsd.edu/vet_neuromuscular/case3.html#January

5.If you go to the following site, College of Veterinary Medicine,
Cornell University:
        http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/consult.asp
and click on Diagnosis, on the following screen for Species select
Canine and for Diagnosis Keyword type:  masticatory myositis,
on the following screen you can click on 2 possible diagnosis for more
information, and in References you can click on  [Web Reference] PubMed
to enter MEDLINE. In MEDLINE if any of the abstracts are useful you can
click on Order for info re ordering the journal articles.

6.  Also do a search on pubmed for atrophic myositis or MMM.
http://www4.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com