Re: [pyrnet] Good laugh at the Petsmart site

I agree pyr may not need vigorous daily exercise, but they are not all just
white door matts, some of them are quite active and need a good deal of
exercise when they are young. I have met too many pyr owners that was
unprepared for the energi level of their dog, people who had expected a dog
that was okay with just hanging around house and garden, and not all pyrs
are like that, at least not as youngsters. My first pyrs were very active by
most standards, not like some of the highstrung hunting dogs of course, but
they certainly needed at good deal of exercise. My present pyrs are much
more laid back, does not seem to need as much exercise, but then they burn
off at lot of energi playing with each other. But many puppies grow up as
the only dog in the household, they don't get the same chance to play and
are more likely to use their energy by getting into mischief or just being
restless.
So I think it is fine that Petsmart mentions that they need a lot of
exercise, even if it does not fit all pyrs. Better to scare off some
potentiel puppy buyers, than make them seem easier to live with than maybe
they are.
Also one thing I have learnt with time: people have very different opinion
on what is a long walk, and what is a small one, and what is a lot of
exercise and what is just a little exercise.

Lene Nielsen, Denmark
sandybear@orangenet.dk
http://hjem.orangenet.dk/~wai38745/