Re: [pyrnet] Feeding a picky pup & health issues

        I'm not familiar with Medi-cal, but I would certainly put Nutro in the premium category for pet foods. While in my opinion there are some that are better, I've learned the hard way that the price of a premium food is not always in line with the quality. For example, I've tried Eukanuba, and I don't think it as good of quality as Premium Edge which is about 1/2 - 2/3 the price, and no better then Nutro which is much less as well. As far as nipping, I simply believe that you have to be assertive with correcting this type of behaviour. Even though he's doing it in play now as a puppy, you wouldn't want that behaviour in a young adult pyr. There are people here who can advise much better than I can on training, but what has worked for me with is just to roll the puppy over on his back, and tell him NO!!!. They don't like to be put in this submissive position, and may whine, but you're not hurting him, just telling him that you're the alpha, and this is not going to be accepted.
Charlie

Upon the first visit to the vet with Cody, she recommended Medi-cal puppy for 4 months and then adolescent formula after that - to promote gradual growth in large breeds.  It is expensive and I've had to keep the old guy out of Cody's food because of the corn.  When the vet found out that I gave him Nutro, she was disappointed and thought I should be giving a premium food.  So, I've kept Cody on Medi-cal, but the old guy is on Nutro - why fool with what is working?

Back to my Pyr.  This is the youngest dog I've ever had.  I've always adopted older dogs.  He is very active and very stubborn.  The biggest problem I'm having besides the biting, is that he is bothering the 15 year old.   He tries to dominate the old guy by bumping him and now tries to sit on him.  If the old guy gets angry enough, he will bark at Cody and Cody will submit.  But then, as the old guy turns away, Cody is at it again.  Any suggestions?  I do discipline and discourage the behaviour, but he doesn't always listen to me!  Also, is his nipping normal?  Will my fingers and toes ever be safe?!

Christine