Re: [pyrnet] Feeding a picky pup & health issues

I've just joined this listserv.  It looks great!  I have 4.5month old male Pyr, Cody.  I am intrigued about the discussions around Nutro.  I've fed my 15 year old shepherd mix this food for a number of years (started when we found out he wasn't digesting corn).  Upon the first visit to the vet with Cody, she recommended Medi-cal puppy for 4 months and then adolescent formula after that - to promote gradual growth in large breeds.  It is expensive and I've had to keep the old guy out of Cody's food because of the corn.  When the vet found out that I gave him Nutro, she was disappointed and thought I should be giving a premium food.  So, I've kept Cody on Medi-cal, but the old guy is on Nutro - why fool with what is working?

Back to my Pyr.  This is the youngest dog I've ever had.  I've always adopted older dogs.  He is very active and very stubborn.  The biggest problem I'm having besides the biting, is that he is bothering the 15 year old.   He tries to dominate the old guy by bumping him and now tries to sit on him.  If the old guy gets angry enough, he will bark at Cody and Cody will submit.  But then, as the old guy turns away, Cody is at it again.  Any suggestions?  I do discipline and discourage the behaviour, but he doesn't always listen to me!  Also, is his nipping normal?  Will my fingers and toes ever be safe?!

Christine