[pyrnet] Shedding & Coats

20030304094709.1678.qmail@web80302.mail.yahoo.com">

I had a quick question about Pyr coats.  I have 2 Pyr's right now, Levi (5 yrs old) & Allie (7yrs old).  A couple of years ago Allie decided she liked this tree in my friends back yard.  Well unfortunately it was a maple tree, AND it was of course leaking sap everywhere.  Well after 3 or 4 baths and a call to the vet and the groomers we finally gave in and have to shave the poor thing.  While she smelled very good she was sticking to everything and was completely miserable.

Then about a year and a half ago the furnace (a boiler that was probably from the 30's or 40's!) at my house died a horrible and painful death.  When my brother was removing the old cast iron boiler he had to break it into pieces to be able to carry it out of the basement.  Well inside the boiler was about 60 or 70 years of soot.  The problem with this situation is that my dogs both think my brother is the best thing since sliced bread.  They decided they were going to help!  And of course my brother (only a male would think this) thought it was a great idea and just too funny!  These big white fur balls covered in soot!  Ha Ha!  Well what he didn't think about was how was I going to get soot out of these 2 dogs?  Well, needless to say soot does NOT come out of dog fur very well!

After more calls to the vet and groomer it was once again necessary to shave both dogs!  Anyway my question is this....

Levi still sheds like there is no tomorrow and requires alot of brushing and maintenance of his coat.  But Allie has not shed (she actually sheds less than I do now...) or blown her coat since I had her shaved over a year and a half ago!  It also took quite a while for her coat to grow back in.  Probably 2-3x as long as Levi.  Does anyone know what happened with her coat?  Is it because she was shaved 2x since I've had her, she was 5 when I got her and I'm not sure what happened before that....

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Shannon, Allie, Levi