Re: [pyrnet] Feeding a picky pup

Sounds like these 2 were litter mates!  If not, they are soul mates.  As I said in a message earlier this morning, Angel gets to go to work with me most days and we got her into the habit of going for rides with us, visiting, etc...from the time she arrived.  That means she really WASN'T left alone for the first few weeks we got her.  AT ALL.  When we di leave her the first time, it was with babygates in a 12x12 room as her pen.  Since it's the playroom for the grandchildren, it's pretty well baby proofed.  The ONLY thing I didn't think about was having her climb the tv to look out the window (a 27" color tv on the floor, face down when we got home~which thankfully has not fallen on HER).  The next time, it was one of the cushions, the next time BOTH of the cushions AND the back of the loveseat...and so it progressed.  Suddenly, we were prisioners (so to speak) of our Pyr!  Couldn't go out of the house, unless we were taking her with us or one of us was home with her.  I finally relented and got a crate.  She's only had to be in it twice over the last 2 weeks.  Neither time was she a happy camper.

I WAS very blessed in that my breeder does not kennel raise her pups & at 17 weeks, Angel was completely housebroken.  Aside from 2 wetting "accidents" when she first arrived, we've had no trouble there.  She sleeps in our bedroom with us and never bothers anything in there.  She doesn't get on the furniture (unless it's her target for a kill) and she doesn't bother the garbage...well, there WAS that one time the pizza napkin was more than she could resist.  I read all I could before believing we would make a good Pyr home and saw that many folks have problems with constant barking.  Angel is a "talker", but not a barker. Basically, we were prepared for barking, shedding, drooling, digging, "potty accidents", stubborn behavior and chewing (puppy and all that).  So far, we've been very lucky with the exception of the chewing so I'm ok with it as know she'll outgrow it.  On the other hand, Zach (the youngest grandson) was NOT happy she chewed the mirrored flower off his walker!

 spdaly@attbi.com wrote:

HA!

My Pyr (Patrick) chewed EVERYTHING as well. (we didn't let him into the living
room). He ate shoes, clothing, towels, his leash, dog bones, the kitchen table
and chairs (no, seriously), plastic cups etc... And he swallowed most of it.

Cat

Visit my sites @ The Manley & Sockol Families History and Genealogy and

Cat's Lair, Home of Unicorns, Faeries & Dragons.