[pyrnet] CanThis Dog Be Trained?

A dog rescuer who is not familiar with Pyrs has raised several questions that the group
may be able to respond to. Please cc: grank@paonline.com with your responses. Thanks.

Greetings,
On Monday Mr. Bear and my husband (gotta have extra muscle to
pick him up)and I will be making a trip to the Vet for neutering,
heartworm test and rabies shot.  I spoke to Bill Mascho he has a 10 Acre
farm that he is looking for a guard dog for.  He has cattle, goats,
other small animals, a small dog they just got and a 5 year old child.
I know the breed is a working breed but I am concerned that with what
this dog has been through this may not be the ideal situation for him.
Bill also mentioned the 5 year old is scared of big dogs... he wants to
come look at him, willing to drive down to here but I just don't think
it is a good match.  Can you give me some thoughts?  If Bear is only 1
or 2 years old is he still young enough to be taught how to herd and
protect or because of the breed is he supposed to really be a natural?
Bill admitted he has no training knowledge but has a friend who will
help "train" the dog. I'm also concerned that since Bear apparently
hasn't done more then live in back yards and roam around I'm not sure
turning him loose on 10 A is a good idea.  This Bill also mentioned that
he is looking for stock protection from the coyotes, he said they have
trapped 6 coyotes on his place recently and that bear are in the area
and that down the road a few years ago a bear killed a dog!  I really
don't like the potential situation but if this is what the bred is
raised for, am I just being too protective of my Mr.Bear?  He doesn't
seem to have a nasty bone in he body, he is just too sweet.
Please send me your thoughts.  Thank you
Greta grank@paonline.com