Re: [pyrnet] Ear infection

First, I must apologise for being so late in responding.  This is the first
day that I've actually been able to just sit down and go through my emails.

Julie -- you are now talking to the "expert" in ear infections.  My male (6
years old in February) has a running battle with ear infections literally
for years.  I won't go through all the things we tried, but it seems (at
least for now) that we've cracked part of the problem.  Believe me, it
hasn't been easy as there seems to be no simple solution.  It appears that
Baron has a number of allergies.  Switching food has helped -- he's now on
Blackwood Lamb and Rice.  This helped but back in late January the
infections started to flare up again.  This time there wasn't any yeast and
the bacterial infection was extremely mild -- so much so that the vet
didn't want to treat it with antibiotic.  Instead, he gave us Gentocin
topical spray to use twice a day.  In addition, we started Baron on
benedryl three times a day.  After a few days, the improvement was
remarkable.  It's been nearly a month now, and I am gradually reducing the
amount of Gentocin used and have cut back to twice daily on the benedryl.
I am also cleaning his ears weekly.  Initially, I has used a commercial
cleaner.  My vet recommended using plain hydrogen peroxide instead.  I have
done this now on several of my pyrs, and they don't seem to mind it at all.
Also to control yeast growth, he also suggested using 1 - 2 drops of
vinegar directly in the ear.  Now -- if the ear is irritated, this will
really cause discomfort.  So wait until the ear is healed before using it.

The flareups that Baron still gets (January and July) do not seem to be
associated with something growing around here, but is probably more likely
associated with the amount of humidity that is in our part of the country.

But, in saying all this -- discuss any health problem with your vet before
trying any of the above.  I have been working with my vet for quite a while
now and he has been very helpful with suggesting "home made remedies" that
have now proved to be successful.  Good luck!

--- Robyn Allwright
--- Ziffany Great Pyrenees & Tibetan Mastiffs
--- www.ziffany.com