Re: [pyrnet] Re: thunder

<< Does anyone have a pyr who is afraid of thunder?>>

My rescue girl Lisa-Jane is very reactive to storms (speculated that this is
how she ended up 'lost' and in need of rescue) and can tell you it is coming
hours beforehand, Milou only reacts during really bad storms with lots of
thunder/lightning (barks at it) and Halley will sleep through most anything!
(my Dalmatian Cookie just hides under the bed covers and gives little woofs
at the big crashes <g>)

<<So, of course I comforted him, but I have never had a dog who was so
afraid of thunder.>>

Bad idea.  Comforting is a good way to show the dog that this is something
to be feared.  You are not acting as you would around normal
sounds/bangs/crashes and the dog picks up on this.  If you are 'worried'
then maybe they should be too!  Best thing to do is to treat it as normal
and nothing out of the ordinary.

As I type, thunder is grumbling outside.  Has been all day today.  LJ is
restless, panting quite a bit and giving a few woofs occasionally as is her
want during this level of storm activity. She likes to cling close to me
when she can.  I let her stay near me if she wants to (although at the
moment she is down in the hallway), but she gets no extra coddling because
there is a storm around.  At night if there is a lot of storm activity I
leave the light on in the central hallway and she stays there (no windows).
Also having noise inside the house (TV, radio etc - different one on in each
room <g>) helps detract from outside noises.  Rescue Remedy may help calm
some, although it doesn't work for LJ.  what helps her though, is
aromatherapy - I use the Pooch Calming Blend from
www.flutterbyearomatics.com  occasionally when things get real bad (a few
drops on her ears and chest) and it seems to help her to relax a little.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com