Re: [pyrnet] dog classes

<< She has always disliked the full class being best at short periods of
time, say 20 minutes or so. But the last 2 classes she has acted very
unhappy with her tail down and a sad look on her face. She won't do the most
basic stuff, like sit etc. She's very distracted. Last week it was so bad we
left early.>>Ginger

I have to say, even though I teach them, that 1 hour (or even 1/2 hour)
classes are not an ideal environment for training a dog.  This is mainly
because often the dog is asked to do too much for too long a period.  They
do get bored and 'stale' easy in these situations.  Classes are however a
good place for YOU to learn so you can go away and put it into practice.

Leaving the class when she clearly didn't want to be there was a good idea.
Another idea in these situations is to 'opt out'.  Go to the side, sit and
relax and just listen/watch for a while.  Take the pressure to 'do stuff'
off the dog as it were.  I tell all my class folks to 'opt out' for periods
(as often as they feel necessary) during the class if they are getting
frustrated, uptight or they feel their dog needs a break from proceedings.

When the dog is unhappy, also look at how you are feeling as well.  Dogs can
feed off your emotions and it becomes a vicious circle.  You get frustrated,
stress levels go up and dog more and more does not want to deal with that so
gives all the body language that it is not happy (turning away, sniffing the
ground, yawning, licking lips, avoiding looking at you etc).  This is where
an 'opt out' or even a 'time out' can be effective. Go sit down and do
nothing (ignore the dog and watch the class) or tether your dog and move
away for a while.  When you are relaxed, play a bit of a game with your dog.
Make learning fun.  Teach a few tricks for instance that you can throw in
every now and again to 'lighten the mood'.  Training should not be a serious
thing.

<< I had planned on going to the next step, more for socilizing than
anything but now am wondering if I should. What do you think?>>

If you feel the class will be suitable to allow you to 'opt out' and have a
bit of control over what you do (short snappy happy bursts of asking things
from the dog rather than repitition after repitition) then by all means
continue.  If the class is going to be no fun and all 'work' (although
stretching you to think and do/try new things is a good thing - this is not
the 'work' I am talking about) then I would perhaps reconsider the class.

Remember - staying relaxed, happy and having fun yourself is half the
battle.  Getting frustrated, stressed, 'giving up' and being
halfhearted/going through the motions of an exercise, getting 'desperate'
for the dog to do what you ask and pushing for a response, not stepping back
for a minute and thinking about what you are doing and how your dog is
reacting can all lead to a dog that no longer enjoys 'training'.

In short - keep it FUN.  And don't be afraid to step back from activities
when it isn't.

HTH

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia