RE: [pyrnet] pyr smiles

Before bringing a Pyr into our home, I read everything I could get my hands on about the breed.  I still try to check out new sites & information as I come across it.

It is my understanding that the breed, having been bred to guard flocks in the mountains, can lie around peacefully for hours (witness Angel ), then put on the "afterburners" should anyone or anything endanger the flock.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've found our girl to be perfectly typical of these traits.  She will sit for hours and have you pet her ears, muzzle, chest, just about any spot on her is her favorite, as long as she's getting attention.  Once you stop, the nose butting kicks into hight gear.  Her way of saying, "YOU may have had enough, but I sure haven't!".  I don't think these lovely, gentle giants realize that they are NOT lap dogs!

Cat & Angel

Jennifer Helfrich-Will <moomoney@sigecom.net> wrote:
As a new pyr owner my questions is this.

I have noticed that even though pyr's are very large dogs, you would
think they would be high strung, like other large breed dogs. Don't get
me wrong, "Rex" does have his big dog moments, but overall "Rex" really
enjoys it when you hold his head up with one hand and lightly stroke the
bridge of his nose upwards to his forehead with the other hand. "Rex"
will sit with his eyes shut while do this and listen to me say "you are
your momma's baby, yes you are the baby" I would just think this type
of behavior would come from poodles! In fact, if I had a bigger lap
"Rex" would probably sit on it while I petted him? Is this strange pyr
behavior?

Jennifer Helfrich-Will, HFA
www.askjennifer.info
www.nursinghomeadministrators.net