[pyrnet] Challenging LGD Prospect

Hello, List.  I'm a new member, and I have a pressing issue.

My wife and I bought a Pyr puppy in January primarily to guard our ducks,
geese, and chickens.  Unfortunately, her guarding abilities haven't come as
naturally as we had hoped they might, and she recently killed one of our
chickens.  My wife is very upset about it, but I've told her that the breed
is known to have the aptitude to be good  LGD's, but that it may not come as
naturally for some as for others.

She is a female who turned six months old yesterday (5/4/03).  She goes
after chickens rather casually, almost curiously, but she can and will kill
them when she catches one.  She's only killed one, but we've been watching
her very closely and keeping the chickens penned up away from her.  Also,
she seems to take great joy in charging into our pond for a swim and
watching the ducks scatter in terror.  We've reprimanded her many times for
this, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.  She hasn't caught a duck
yet, but if she does, it will be very bad news, since my wife is not the dog
person in the family and loves her ducks very much.  She's mentioned more
than once wanting to "get rid of" the dog, but so far I've been able to
persuade her that she's not a hopeless case...I'm just not sure I'd be able
to do so if she killed one of the ducks.

Is this typical for her age, or is she just going to be a challenge?  I've
heard of Pyrs who do not fit the mold so to speak.  If she's one of those,
when and how will we know?  At what point would we decide she's not LGD
material and give up on her for that purpose?  She's a good pet, gets along
well with the kids, isn't destructive...just seems too interested in the
poultry.  Another note: we'll be getting two lambs about 4 months old some
time later this week.  I don't worry about her hurting them, but maybe I
should?....

Thanks,
Jeff White
Dickson, TN