[pyrnet] A serious cancer question

Dear Emily,

What a tough decision this is.  If it helps, though, I can
tell you of our Pyr Travis' experience with chemo last fall
at 8 and 1/2.  He had a large hemangiosarcoma removed from
his chest, with massive tissue excision to try and get all
the tumor (had to have a drain in place for several weeks).
As with most Pyrs, he bounced back from the surgery within a
day.  He also tolerated the chemo (3 sessions of being on an
IV drip all day long) very well although he dropped from 118
to 104 pounds in weight.  But aside from sleeping more than
usual he was in good spirits.  Of course it was wrenching on
us trying to find things that he would eat.  He was
especially turned off to meats, but on most days we could
get something into him, whether it was a few graham
crackers, slim jims or Christmas cookies.  He is back to 124
pounds now, eight months after surgery, which is good
because we have found another, very small, lump that feels
much like the first.  I imagine that we will be scheduling
him for another surgery, followed by more chemo, this week.
I just wish it could be happening when the weather is cooler.

I don't know what I'd do if faced with an amputation. It is
so hard to see them in distress after these difficult
surgeries, even if you know they will recover.  Bless you
and Zuni.

Gerry and Tuff Travis and little rescue Sugar, in Pepperell, Massachusetts