Re: [pyrnet] A serious cancer question...please help!

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
> This is her front right leg and it seems that it would be so difficult
>for her to cope without it. I know people say dogs can bounce back like
>rubber from something like this, but I wanted to know if any of you had
>actually had to do this and how well your dogs did with it. I'm also
>concerned about making her go through chemo again. Again, the first time
>she was still just a pup. However, she dropped from 90 to 72 pounds, lost
>most of her hair, and had some very bad days. How do older Pyrs do with
>chemo?
First, like others, we're praying for you and Zuni, Emily.
The first thing is to know just what kind of cancer you're dealing
with--there are different kinds of bone cancer, and the treatment options
and prognosis are different. Our Shelley developed osteosarcoma in her
right rear leg at 7+ years. We did go ahead with amputation after
consultation with an oncologist and an orthopedist, who evaluated her
other legs and determined that she was strong and healthy enough to do
well on three legs. Apart from the days immediately following surgery, she
did wonderfully and had little pain. She had three follow-up chemo
sessions, that seemed to have little effect on her appetite or general
sense of well-being, and she didn't lose her hair. After the final
treatment, she was less interested in food for a few days, and her
creatine levels began to rise, indicating some effect on her kidneys. She
had six months of very good quality life before she very suddenly lost all
function in her rear end, probably the result of metastasis to her spine.
At this point, there was nothing to do but help her on to the Rainbow
Bridge. A week before her death, she was out romping in the snow and
out-running two younger, four-legged male pyrs!
You are facing a different situation with a front leg, and I'd really
advise a consultation with someone who can evaluate her potential to get
around well after amputation. They carry two thirds of their weight on
those front legs. I would assume that chemo and other treatments have
improved since your first go-round with Zuni and ours with Shelley
(1997-8).
Again, all best wishes from all of us. Let us know how things are going.
Ann, Peg, Tori and Blair