RE: [pyrnet] Zuni

Dear Emily - I'm so sorry to hear the latest diagnose with Zuni.  You have some hard decisions ahead of you and I am fully sympathetic of what you're going through.  A number of years ago, my elderly thoroughbred started to act oddly.  I had the vet out, and it seemed that my boy had become blind.  It was gradual, but now had reached a point where his sight was highly compromised.  I asked the vet if it was serious enough to warrant me having my horse put down.  The advice to me was "No.  As long as he's enjoying himself and can live comfortably within his environment, then enjoy him, love him, and care for him.  However, once he looses his confidence and begins to show any sign of suffering, then it's time to take the final steps."  So, from that point on, I worked with my boy, made sure his pasture was safe, his food plentiful and suitable for his needs, housing comfortable , and his companions pleasant.  He continued to thrive for many years, but finally in 1999, his health again began to deteriorate (he had having liver failure), and it was necessary to take that final step.  It took a lot of courage on my part to make this decision, but when the day arrived for the vet to come and put him to sleep, I knew it was the correct decision.  I still weep when I think of that day (yes I'm typing this through a haze of tears right now), but my boy was ready to go and no longer suffered.

So, the point of this -- enjoy Zuni, keep her comfortable and happy.  But when she stops enjoying life, do not feel guilty or ashamed in taking the final step to relieve her suffering.  This is the ultimate display of love.  My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Robyn Allwright
Ziffany Pyrs & TMs
www.picassosdog.com