[pyrnet] companion dog question

Hello Pyr friends.  I would like to solicit some recommendations from those
of you out there who have other non-Pyr dogs.  I want to get a companion for
Sophie (8 mos. old female).  I've thought of course about another Pyr, but
my wife, a self-proclaimed "non-dog-person" has problems sometimes with
Sophie's size, so something smaller might be better.  It has to be a
non-hunting breed, since we have ducks and chickens who occasionally escape
their confined areas...not to mention that all small furry and feathered
creatures are loved by wife and children alike.  Are there any mid-size
breeds that don't hunt or chase small animals, are good with kids (ages 3,
6, & 7), and would get along well with a Pyr?  Thanks in advance for sharing
your wisdom and experiences.

Jeff White & Sophie
Dickson, Tennessee