[pyrnet] Health, Care: GI Problem

I just had a call from a friend who found a Pyr last year wondering down the road.  Where Isabella (as in Queen, my friend reminds me <G>) came from or how long she was pounding the streets was unknown, hence it wasn't surprising when it was found that she had a HUGE tapeworm problem.  This was treated and she seemed to be fine.  Now, in the past month she has started having mucus covered stools (not really diarrhea, but looser and containing quite a bit of mucus).  Also, she has started to vomit, producing foamy vomit.  My friend has taken Isabella to her vet.  A stool culture was done, and it appears there's an over abundance of e-coli bacteria (no worms).  Isabella was put on metronidazaline (sp???), the brand name is Fagyl, and this seems to clear up the problem.  However, after being off the meds for about a week, the problem returns.  She is currently on Purina One Lamb and Rice and one of the Iams varities of kibble, and was on it before the problem started.

Isabella is going back to the vet's office tomorrow for more work.  The vet seems to think that it may be food related, and is looking at trying to maintain the good bacteria balance in Isabella's gut.  In the meantime, my friend is interested in any experiences any of you folks may have.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Robyn Allwright
Ziffany Pyrs & TMs
www.picassosdog.com