Re: RE: [pyrnet] chat: smart Pyrs

Robin,

Our TM as a pup was very food aggressive and was, and still is, always fed in his crate. It's the only safe place. :) His crate has always been his. However, I have seen him sleeping in Bramble's crate when he feels like it. Bramble never voluntarily goes into either crate, just in the morning when it's time for me to leave.

I can't imagine having more than 2 of these huge crates in my house. Creative decorating must be called for. <g> Although I'm not sure what decorating is like. My house is just a large dog house!

Ginger

> We have 5 dogs (4 Pyrs and 1 TM) and currently have 4 large crates in our
house and one in Mum's next door.  Actually, I'm hoping to empty my chest
freezer and move it to the lower barn and move one of the crates in the
"dog room" into its location.  Shania, the TM, doesn't appreciate being
crated, but will go in if necessary, especially if she thinks one of the
other dogs has missed a crumb of food in it!  Many times you'll find them
crashed out in their favourite crate.  This is their den, and I always
tried to make it a welcoming experience for them to go in, even if it is
for a "time out".  We use to have a piece of carpet for them to lay on,
but
found that a couple would like to chew on it.  So now we just have plain
crates, with nothing in it.  Heck, they lay on the tile floor or on the
laminate, and there isn't much difference between that and the crate
bottom.

For the past two weeks, Baron has had to wear an E-collar because of his
ear surgery.  It was surprising to see him get into his crate -- but
that's
where he wanted to be, especially at night.  For feeding it was difficult
for him with the collar, so Shania was fed in his crate and he fed
outside.
At first he didn't understand what was going on, but I sat with him and
got
him to eat the first time, he quickly figured out what was going on.

Robyn Allwright
Ziffany Pyrs & TMs
www.picassosdog.com