[pyrnet] STOCKGUARD: advice requested

Hello all,

I have a recently adopted (09/13/03) a minimually socialized, 18m n/f Pyr/Anatoliian LGD. I was told she barked at night depending on what she considered threats. The truth is she sits and barks pretty much non stop at nothing. Her first couple nights I kept her penned with my weaning kids, with no barking. First night out when the barking wouldn't stop I put her (willingly) in with the kids again. She seemed happy with the arrangement. The second night I put her in with the kids again but she was less willing this time and whimpered a bit. Last night after the barking started I put her in with the kids but this time I had to shove her in. She barked for about an hour and then seemed OK.

Also, I have yet to see her eat any dog food. I also offer a milkbone each am and pm. I have to toss the treat on the ground and retreat before she will snatch it and take it away to eat it. I know she's not eating any goat feed as only the kids get feed and she is not in with them when the get it. She ignores the dry food. Her previous owner didn't mention what type of food she fed and hasn't yet responded to my email request. Bella can afford to lose some weight but she can't live on 1 or 2 milkbones a day.

Bella seems to be doing ok with my goats. She's a sweet girl that will come up for a pat but only as dusk sets in. This morning she did try to leave the pasture through the gate as I left. Any advise to help with Bella's barking. Like most people I have neighbors and they will complain eventually.

Ginger Schiffer
Washougal, WA