Re: [pyrnet] Barking on walks

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>Along with the socialization and dog obedience classes, I teach the
>LEAVE IT command.
We do too, Judith--and it's one of the most useful commands they know.
Also one that seems to be easier than some others to actually have a pyr
respond to! I use it primarily when we're out walking and they go after
trash, carrion, etc. but also in the house when someone decides yet again
that the fringe on the rug, or the paper I just put in the recycling,
looks tempting.
Another command I find particularly helpful in muddy or icy weather when
I'm walking two of them on leashes is "EASY." When they get going too fast
down a slippery incline, a sometimes panicked "easy" from me brings them
to a halt. Now both Tori and Blair have reached the point where they seem
to know that two-legged footing is less sure than theirs, and they'll go
part way and wait for me. Yet another indication of the intelligence,
sensitivity etc. of these wonderful dogs--when there's a good reason for a
command (in their eyes), they're happy to comply!
Ann, Peg, Tori and Blair