Re: [pyrnet] Fence height for pyrs

Kelly Haskins wrote:

My question comes down to
this- Is a 4 foot fence high enough? I know there is
no way Mandy is going over a 4 foot fence. Or do I
need to go to 4 1/2 or 5 feet? Has anyone had fences
of these heights with pyrs that can give me some
advice?

Hi Kelly

I've had rescue people tell me that they would not hand a Pyr over to anyone who had less than a 6 foot fence. However, that may be over kill. . .what they can't go over, they'll go under or through if they want to bad enough.

To answer your question; my wife is very particular about HER yard (I just get to mow the grass). She was concerned about the same things as you.

When the fence post were set, they were all over 6 feet tall. So I had the contractor bring in pieces of 41/2, 5, and 6 foot fencing. The 6 was a little much for my wife. But you practically can't tell the difference between the 4 1/2 and the 5 when they stand alone. So we went with the 5.

Finally, some well chosen plantings around the fencing "took the harsh edge" off the appearance. . .Be careful that the plants, vines, and bushes aren't harmful to the dogs.

HLE