Re: [pyrnet] scary situation!

Hi Tom,
I just subscribed to the Pyrnet, and received your e-mail. I hope that your girl is feeling better.  None of my dogs have gotten sick off of a pig ear. However, I had heard a year or so ago, don't ask me where, that there had been dogs getting sick off of pigs' ears.  One of my dogs got a hold of a chicken bone that someone had thrown out in the street.  His reaction was very similar to your girl's reaction. He too had to take a trip to the ER.  I thought he was going to die!  It was very frightening!!!!  When I took the bone out of his mouth there didn't seem to be anything on it, but the ER vet told me that some dogs are very sensitive to bacteria/rotten food. I hope she gets better!
Jennifer

Tom McCulloch <tmcculloch@achp.gov> wrote:
Has this ever happened to anyone else? My 7 year old female spayed Pyr
Sierra, tough as nails and always in good health, woke up at 4:30 am
Sunday morning vomiting a partially digested dinner and portion of
pig-ear. She proceeded to have explosive diarrhea. The emergency vet
said it was not the symptoms of bloat, and to keep food and water away
from her. If she didn't improve, take her in to the vet. She continued
throwing up everything in her stomach over the next couple of hours, and
at the vet's was lethargic, had a high fever, 180 beats per minute heart
rate, and then began to throw up large amounts of fresh blood. However,
her blood profile and clotting speed were normal, so there was no
indication she got into any rat poison. At the hospital they put her on
an IV, and over night she has improved, and by this morning her
temperature and heart rate were back to normal. She has thrown up once
since yesterday, but it was the normal yellow bile. Her head and body
X-rays were normal. Today they will do an ultrasound to see if there is
something else going on. Assuming the ultrasound is normal, the Vet
said it probably is a "hemoragic gastro-enteritis" (sp), a severe
stomach inflammation and reaction to something.

Has anyone had anything happen like this? Our Samoyed also got part of
a pig ear that night, ate the same food and water, and had no problems.
She has been on the same food (Nutro Natural Large Breed) for several
years and gets part of a pig ear a couple of times a week.

Any similar experiences would be appreciated! Thanks, Tom McCulloch