Re: [pyrnet] Puppy food.

Hi Candice and Jennifer,
My vet recommends 6 months for spaying age, but I have read studies that say that early spaying has (as of yet) shown no adverse effects.  I tend to do things by the old ways of thinking because they've been proven.  But that doesn't mean that some of the newer ways aren't good as well.  With a male pup I'd get him done before the whole hormone thing kicks in and avoid some of the adult behaviors that brings on.
I, personally, would not let the vet remove the dew claws.  There is really no reason to, unless the dog will be spending lots of time in really rough terrain or brushy land where they could tear a dew claw.  I've never read or heard about a Pyr tearing a dew claw.
 I think people have just gotten into the habit of removing dew claws, docking tails and cropping ears.  You might ask the vet why they recommend it and then make your decision from the answer.
As far as the food thing I've fed Nutro for years and believe that it is a very good food - lots of people recommend switching a large breed pup to adult food at around 6 months of age.  The reasoning is that the large breed pups can grown too fast on puppy food and it can cause joint and bone problems.  Something else to ask the vet.
As far as canned food....my younger Pyr Lily-Belle is a picky eater and I do mix canned food with her kibble.  I give her raw meaty beef bones 2-3 times a week to gnaw on and that takes care of any plaque build up.  Both of my Pyrs have had very healthy teeth in spite of not having their teeth cleaned at the vet.
About Couper's nibbling habits - I'd go ahead and feed him in his crate and let him nibble what he wants.  That will also take care of the how much to feed him problem since he will set the amount himself.
Best of luck with your new babies and I have to say that I both envy and feel bad for you!  LOL!!
Having a Pyr pup is a whole new experience.   My Shelly (who I just lost a few weeks ago at 12 1/2 yrs old) was the original puppy from hell.  She was a one pup crime spree... I adored her and miss her with my whole being.
Some links that might help you:

Dog Owner's Guide: Spay/Neuter Surgery
Great Pyrenees Club of America

Cat