Re: [pyrnet] Puppy food.

Candace,

I planned to wait longer for neutering - breeder had suggested 8 to 10
months - but Charlie developed a behavior habit in puppy class that I wanted
to break quickly so he was about 7 months old.  He continually tried to hump
the male neutered St Bernard who was in puppy class as a dominance thing .
Nick is about a month younger and very laid back so he could have cared less
but Charlie chose to express the issue that way and it became very
embarassing so it was time.  The vet said it could have been done earlier -
he had neutered the St Bernard at 5 mos.

Charlie did behave oddly  though after surgery.  He refused to walk more
than a few steps without sitting down.  Because he would forget and walk or
even run a few steps further if something caught his attention, I knew that
he was ok.  Turns out shaving the fur for neutering felt strange to him so
he kept sitting down to cover up.  After about a week, he forgot and moved
normally.  He did not have stitches, the vet used superglue.

The dew claws WERE NOT removed.  There is no good reason to remove them
unless they catch on something and are injured.  I have heard of removing
them so nothing happens as an emergency.

Charlie's puppy canine teeth (the fangs) did not fall out on their own when
his big dog teeth came in so we had the puppy fangs removed at the same time
as well as microchipping.  Poor guy was sore all over.

Amy