Re: [pyrnet] Puppy food.

On 12 Sep 2004 at 13:19, Catkin8040@aol.com wrote:

> There is
> really no reason to, unless the dog will be spending lots of time in
> really rough terrain or brushy land where they could tear a dew claw.
> I've never read or heard about a Pyr tearing a dew claw.
>  I think people have just gotten into the habit of removing dew claws,

Even if a pyr is a working dog, I have not heard of many tearing a
dew claw.  I have heard of pyrs tearing front dew claws if they jump
on fencing.  Removing dewclaws on a pyr is major surgery, as
many times the bones in the dew claw can be connected to the
pastern bone.  See link below.

http://pyrmont.tripod.com/dewclaws.html

Judith
Taos, New Mexico