Re: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues-Pano

<<And when pano occurs in the rear legs just exactly what are effects seen down the road opposed to just occurring in the front legs?  If negative effects have been seen, was a study done on how the dog was cared for during the espisode?>>

All the dogs are cared for the same i.e. rest, quite, no stress, good food, pleanty of fresh water, buffered aspirin only as needed, and for the last three years, Albon when dog displays any limping or extremity tenderness.  This over 30 years.  Same for couple other breeders, one breeding longer than myslef and more litters as well.  They also are the one that got me on the Albon, as I was very skeptical. Glad you are not implying that my Vet does not keep up as this goes way beyond her i.e. the safety of judicous use of Albon.  BTW, I have never advocated not using your Vet with Albon, but most Vets unless they have tried it will be ignorant of its use with Pano as this use is "off label".  Your point is the safety of Albon and that it is a "nasty drug".  There are those including myself and several vets that disagree.  The judicious use of Albon, as with many drugs, is safe and appropriate.  Everything can be abused, but that is not what we are talking about.

None of our dogs run and play when they have leg pain from Pano.  They are isolated i.e. not kept with any other dog to avoid any temptation.

As far as the effects down the road, the worst is lameness and unsoundness.  Sometimes takes years to pass completly, that is the after effects.  Almost always the occurance in the rear is a much more painful event and lasts much longer.

I did not think anyone had any data as I have asked many times many people and so far no one has been able to give any documentation.  Many good studies would not be accessable on Google as well.

FYI, I have copied some info on what you speak from a Vet reference site on treatment of Coccidea with Albon.

"Treatment Side Effects
Known side effects of Albon are:

Sulfa crystals in the animal's urine - this is not a problem in a well hydrated animal (it is imperative that an animal under treatment is kept well hydrated.) ""

Any drug should be used properly and with know cautions and conditions. Certainly Albon is one, but is safe if used correctly and with Vets knowledge and assistance if needed.

Joe