Re: Re: [pyrnet] Re: Pano and diet

Hey there Charlotte!

I am not questioning the experience that either you or Joe have as breeders or the length of time anyone has been in the breed.  As Carolyn Hardy once said - "once you think you know it all - you need to get out of the breed" - so therefore, I have always sought to keep learning by asking "experienced breeders" for their input, as I have with both you and Joe.

So I ask you to consider the following:

Over the years there have been tremendous break throughs in Canine Nutrition (some good some bad).   Proper nutrition over generations possibly reversing a break down in genetics???    We all accept that poor nutrition in people cause all kinds of health problems then why do we not accept that concept with our dogs as well?

Over the last decade more and more Breeders have utilized the tools available to them which can screen out certain defects - hip dysplasia and so forth.    The breeder hopefully chooses only the healthiest of dogs for their breeding program.

Could this result in  Dilution of genetics......maybe a reason why only one pup in a litter has come down with it -  recessive gene??? Majority vs. Minority?

Also ask yourselves this - have you noticed a decrease after having "outcrossed" or visa versa?   Can you go back and check your pedigrees and see if there were common lines at that time in which you saw a higher incidence?   Could it be coincidence that maybe you outcrossed when changing foods as well?   Are you absoultely sure none of the other pups sold to pet homes had it?   Could they have had "mild" cases which can go unseen?

Genetic or nutritional - possibly both - possibly appears as a genetic component due to poor nutrition over generations?   Something to think about.  ;-)

Dianne