Re: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues-Pano

Hi Charlotte

I tried all those theories years ago and nothing ever made any difference except for Albon.  While we take our puppies off puppy food at about 3-4 months, Pano is not the reason.  I just don't think they need the puppy food past that age, but I know in our dogs over the years the food i.e. puppy or otherwise made no difference at all.  We still get Pano on the regular food, so the puppy Vs Adult have nothing to do with it, IMHO.  There just is no evidence, that I can find and no one has been able to point me to it if it exists, except for Anecdotal (which is the worst type evidence and has to be evaluated carefully and experience level of sources plus the exposure and incidence with the problem need to be looked at carefully) that less calories equal decrease in symptoms of Pano.  The Ole axiom that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" applies here.  Here knowledge has to be at least partially experience and incidence with the disease.

From other post re: how much Albon?; I would not prescribe any dosage on the web.  The Vet can determine a safe dose administered over an extended time period.  As I remember it, it is about half what the coccydea dose.  There is now considerable, growing experience (several very experienced breeders, one that has been around longer than Charlotte even <G>) with this without any problems to date.  When I see Pano it is frequently in multiple littermates as well and that seems to be the experience with the other breeders I keep up with such things with.

I suspect some may not really understand what I am speaking.  When you see that severe case of Pano ( I hope you never have to either), you know it is a different ball game.  It is hard to watch even a 7-8 month old Pyr lay around crying and whimpering in pain for much of the day for weeks on end, even with pain pills and then to watch them have lameness that persists for months and sometime seems to not clear up completely for even years.  They have no appetite and get very skinny.  Once it starts it seems destined to run its course in the severe cases.  Albon is safe used properly (all drugs should be used properly).  There is no experience, that I am aware, on Pyrs to indicate otherwise.  I invite any evidence to the contrary.  The PDR's cite anything that even remotely can occur and they need to be headed, but if the adverse possible symptoms with any drug, even aspirin, ruled out their use, we would take nor administer anything.

France was great this year.  Two new stars emerged.  Tourmaline (Maline) owned by Mademoiselle Laffitte of Neouvielle and Urm du Pic de Viscos, bred by Monsieur Cockenpot got everybody's attention. Neou du Neouvielle was best dog and got his French Championship.  Everyone must go next year for the World Conference and their National Specialty show.

Joe