Re: Re: [pyrnet] Food issues-Pano

I have seen one really severe case of Pano. It occurred in my first Pyr. It
was horrible, the dog was in extreme pain for months. We did all we could to
help him, but what made the difference was switching him to adult food. Once
that was done, his pain subsided considerably within a month or so. But
then, he had some other pretty severe orthopedic problems. Severe CHD along
with the Pano, not to mention his poor temperament. Certainly his pain for
so long could have contributed to his poor temperament, but who knows? He
was euthanized one day shy of his first birthday due to his biting a 2 year
old child in the face. Subsequently, we learned how to find a good breeder
and have had good temperament (and good hips) and no Pano since that time.
Although, a pup from the second litter that Carolyn and I bred together did
come up with a mild case of Pano. He was taken off puppy food and switched
to adult (the puppy buyer was told to do this immediately and she did not)
and he never had another bout with Pano, at least not one that could be
detected. I kept in touch with my puppy buyers via telephone each month.
Easier to do when one only has 2 litters then decides to stop breeding
altogether. <G> Something that interests me is I wonder if bone cancer and
Pano might not be linked somehow? Especially with the severe cases of Pano.
Would make for some interesting research anyway. Of course, there are so
many variables when dealing with Osteosarcoma. But, when I hear of cases of
Osteosarcoma, and the owners have had the dog since puppyhood, I do now ask
if the dog had Pano as a pup, and if it was mild Pano or more severe.

Barb Bowes
Chelsea (Pyr)  Twister (Pyr)
Flopsy (Pyrenean Shepherd)
greatpyr@enter.net