[pyrnet] Last she-bear in Pyrenees shot

Shirley - that is dreadfully sad. I also had news of this from my daughter in London today. She and her family spend a lot of time in France and have recently bought a home there. I thought you might be interested in some of her observations........

<< There are other female bears in the Pyrenees, but they're imported from Eastern Europe... I think they're hoping that the adult son of this last she-bear will mate with one of the imports to keep the pyrenees line going...

...I'm suprised that any wildlife is left behind at all in France: you can't walk anywhere in the countryside in hunting season, even on roads: it's too dangerous. Hunters are everywhere, and usually well-marinated to the point
of mistaking cats, dogs and even each other for legitimate targets: several hunters are shot and killed 'accidentally' each hunting season!

ack!

Ax >>