Re: [pyrnet] Last she-bear in Pyrenees shot

Geraldine -- this set me laughing (sorry) I live in hunting country and have a fair amount of acreage by my house which my sisters and I own.  It is surrounded by houses with small animals and children.  I never have forgotten the day five hunters were headed into "my" woods. I called out to them to stop. Told them that the property was too close to residences and was posted (they were standing with in 5 feet of one of my bright yellow NO everything signs).  I told them they could go up the road about a mile to the mountain road to hunt (also my property) but not here.  They told me they knew who owned the property and it was alright they had asked.  Hmmmmm I asked when did they ask.  Just last night.  Who did they ask?  They lady in the Grey cape (that would be me, or so I thought, being the only person in the grey cape). I pointed towards my house and asked That one?  Yep!  What did this lady look like I asked.  There was silence....  Finally another guy spoke up -- They didn't want to hunt on the mountain because there were too many hunters up there and they were afraid to get shot.  Some one told them to come down here and try this place...that nobody would care.

Yuck --
Tea

GERALDINE SWIERZY <SHEEPRIVERPYRS@NUCLEUS.COM> wrote:
Shirley - that is dreadfully sad. I also had news of this from my daughter
in London today. She and her family spend a lot of time in France and have
recently bought a home there. I thought you might be interested in some of
her observations........

<< There are other female bears in the Pyrenees, but they're imported from
Eastern Europe... I think they're hoping that the adult son of this last
she-bear will mate with one of the imports to keep the pyrenees line
going...

...I'm suprised that any wildlife is left behind at all in France: you
can't walk anywhere in the countryside in hunting season, even on roads:
it's too dangerous. Hunters are everywhere, and usually well-marinated to
the point
of mistaking cats, dogs and even each other for legitimate targets: several
hunters are shot and killed 'accidentally' each hunting season!

ack!

Ax >>