Re: [pyrnet] Fw: (Fwd) Panosteitis

As the original author says, one must treat this with caution. Albon can
have some pretty nasty side effects in some dogs. Other than my very first
Pyr, I've not had Pano in any of my dogs. And tonight I learned that my
male's sire had Pano pretty badly as a pup, but Bo, to my recollection never
had it or at least never showed symptoms. All dogs from my except for my
first Pyr  were fed adult food, except for Chelsea, who was fed large breed
puppy from Abady. But males do tend to get Pano more than females anyway.
But Chelsea was also the first pup that was NOT raised on kibble. I can only
report what I've seen. And Joe, are there any scientific studies out there
that Albon helps Pano? I guess not or the use of it for Pano would not be
"off label". So therefore  the evidence that it helps Pano is merely
anecdotal. Perhaps we should not then discount anecdotal evidence? Another
case in point. The use of Glucosamine and other supplements such as MSM for
arthritis and joint disease. There were no studies but it seemed to help
many. I took Glucosamine and MSM myself for a bad knee. It did wonders for
me, so I started giving it to my old dogs who were arthritic. Helped them
tremendously as well. I have 2 Rescues here that are both on it along with
my now 15 year old Pyr Shep. One Rescue is a 5 year old bitch with a very
bad left hip. It has not taken away her limp, but she sure is more playful
and happier. Sheba, the almost 8 year old Rescue was a bit stiff in front,
the Glucosamine/MSM has helped her as well. And it's made all the difference
in the world in my 15 year old Pyr Shep, at least as far as her stiffness is
concerned. My point is, just because evidence is anecdotal, we should keep
an open mind and not discount it. It just might help! But we should also
weigh the benefits as well as the side effects very carefully. And make an
informed decision on whether or not it is the right course to pursue. I
still am not sold on the use of Albon unless the possible side effects are
made known, but I must also say, I never want to have another dog suffer the
way my very first Pyr suffered. And one also needs to have a Vet that will
prescribe it "off label" for use in Pano.

Barb Bowes
Chelsea (Pyr)  Twister (Pyr)
Flopsy (Pyrenean Shepherd)
greatpyr@enter.net