From: Klmediting@aol.com
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Sent: 11/27/04 9:47 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] torn claw

Hi everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm in need of a little advice. Last night, my Pyr, Kelly, accidentally
tore off one of the claws on her front left paw. It's the claw that is
up on the leg more (similar to where our ankle would be) rather than one
close to the ground. She somehow did it while eating a bone. By the
looks of the rug where she was eating, it seems that the flesh bled
some, but by the time I noticed the blood (couldn't have been more than
half an hour), the bleeding had stopped.

I haven't taken her to the vet yet; her "toe" looks good -- it's a
little raw looking and she's licking at it occasionally, but I can't see
an open wound and it's not disturbing her walking at all.

But I wanted to see what you all thought. Should I take her in to the
vet? Will they be able to do anything for her? Or is there any OTC
medication that might help? Does anyone know how long it will take her
nail to grow back?

Thank you!
Kendra & Kelly
Los Angeles