Re: [pyrnet] In defense of Rescue/Shelters

On 4 Feb 2005 at 8:55, M3A4E5@aol.com wrote:

> I have
> spoken with an AC officer that I frequently run into at a local vets
> office, and he absolutely refuses to deal with Breed Specific Rescue
> Groups. There is one local Animal Shelter that he deals with
> exclusively.

That is very sad as most times it's the specific breed rescue groups that
can best evaluate their own breed and place in appropriate homes. I
also find it unusual that the AC Officer has that kind of power.  Here the
AC Officer takes all dogs to the shelters and rescue works with the
shelter. Some shelters will not work with breed rescue, others will gladly.
Just as breed rescue is cautious about working with some shelters that
have bad reputations. We have one shelter that has poor sanitation
practices and most dogs kept there get Kennel Cough.  Then the shelter
tries to get us to take the sick dogs.  Many foster homes don't have the
facilities to quarantine a rescue. The shelter just does not understand
this.

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com