Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20050202

First, let me be the first here to wish you all the best on your 60th!
Second, just because you haven't seen it does not mean it doesn't happen. Panting is how a dog cools himself,and after playing a play bite or nip, the tongue it more likely to be out than in.
BTW , what does holding his mouth shut do to prevent further incidents? The dog trying to pull away from you is more likely to be anxious and upset.. How much pressure do you exert.? (just enough so he can't open his mouth? and for how long? one or two hands?) What does this teach him? A loud NO and OUCH and removing him from the fun for a few minutes teaches him "they aren't happy with me and I want to be back with them." I have never heard of holding their mouth shut unless I had to administer a medication .
OH and to answer the original question....twice. Once with an Afghan hound (7 months) and once with Golden Retriever.( 14 weeks) There was lots of blood both times, and the hound threw up after swallowing so much of it. The hounds jaw was clamped shut for nipping fingers as she ran beside her jogging owner and the retriever pup for barking.

Sincerely,
Michele Donald