Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20050202

In a message dated 2/4/05 11:56:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, donaldmic@shaw.ca writes:

I have never heard of holding their mouth shut unless I had to
administer a medication .
OH and to answer the original question....twice.  Once with an Afghan
hound (7 months)  and once with Golden Retriever.( 14 weeks) There was
lots of blood both times, and the hound threw up after swallowing so
much of it. The hounds jaw was clamped shut for nipping fingers as she
ran beside her jogging owner and the retriever pup for barking.

It may be that you are doing it incorrectly. This method of correction does not involve "Clamping Shut" as you describe above, especially if the dog is still running and breathing hard at the time. Of course my experience with Golden Retrievers and Afghan Hounds is very limited. I had one neighbor who was an Afghan Breeder, and she stressed that these dogs were extremely shy and due to their small heads and long thin necks they had to be handled extremely carefully. As she was in the process of selling off her remaining dogs when she moved into the neighborhood I did not have an opportunity to interact with them in any meaningful way. Over how many years did these two incidents occur?

Terry