Re: [pyrnet] Muddy Pens

Wow!  What a wonderful idea.....everyone's had awesome ideas.  I'd say right now for the temporary pens we're using, the straw sounds good and for the permanent pens the blocks/gravel with straw/bark in larger areas.

Thanks!
Chrissy

time we drive out, and we can't get new gravel until we are sure there will
be no more snow (snow plow throws all the gravel to the side of the road).
But, we don't have any mud in our dog pens!  When we first moved here 16
years ago (we were younger with stronger backs!) we dug the dog pens about 3
feet deep.  Then, we put down a layer of blue stone and then laid a cinder
block floor with the holes in the blocks facing  up.  On top of that we put
about 8 inches of washed pea gravel.which filled the holes in the cinder
block and left about 6 inches of pea gravel. The dogs can't dig down to the
mud and there is good footing and very good drainage.  We love it.  Of
course we let the dogs out in their 2 acre field to run, dig and get muddy,
but we can keep them clean if we want.
Charlotte in muddy VA<<<<<
<<<<<