Re: [pyrnet] Deaf Pyrs

<<Wow, that's the first time I think I've heard of a marked Pyr being deaf.>.

I've know of 4 deaf Pyrs (3 pups, 1 adult).  This was a looonng time ago.  Of
the four only one was white. The others were well marked.

<<What I was told, these breedings are from most or all of the dogs in the
pedigrees being all white. Some didn't know because they were purchased from a
fellow at five weeks old at a stock sale unregistered. >>

But there were/are also several show lines who bred heavily white.  At one time
there was a belief that marked dogs didn't win as much as white.

<<I understand selling a pup without registration until spay/neuter is proven
but to just say $100.00 for nonregistered or limited reg. and $300.00 for the
same dog registered or fully reg. bugs me.>>

At one point it was against AKC regulations to sell a dog  for more money in
order for the buyer to obtain papers.  This was considered selling papers and
the AKC position was that the papers *belonged* with the dog. You could legally
sign a written contract that stipulated that the buyer and seller both
understood that no papers would be supplied with the dog.  Until the advent of
limited, that's what we all did.  I'm not sure if that is still true since the
advent of limited registration.  Does anybody know?

<<I've also heard of "blue eyed Pyrs" with/without dew claws.>.

Those are probably every bit, if not more, common than deafness.

Oh, for what it is worth, it is VERY (without Baers) difficult to recognize a
deaf puppy.  Once you have seen one, you learn to see the slight tell tale
signs.

Linda