Re: [pyrnet] Deaf Pyrs

Cutting and pasting from several posts here....

<<Wow, that's the first time I think I've heard of a marked Pyr being
deaf.>>

100% lack of pigment is not necessary for a white dog to be deaf.  Look at
Dalmatians as an example (also my 'other' breed).  Puppies which are deaf
still have spots. If you are really interested in learning the ins and outs
of white coat colour and deafness I suggest reading for starters Cattenachs
excellent articles on the subject:
http://www.steynmere.com/DALM_DEAFNESS.html

<< Oh, for what it is worth, it is VERY (without Baers) difficult to
recognize a  deaf puppy.>>

Not that hard really if you know what to look for.  Many folks here do not
have ready access to BAER testing (nearest for us here is 4 hours away - a
long drive with a young litter).  We test mostly by observation and the
startle reflex.  A pup that is slow to react or startle it singled out for
closer observation and a pup which repeatedly does not startle or react to
loud piercing or crashing noises made close by and out of eyeshot (eg behind
them when sleeping) when isolated from its litter mates has a pretty good
chance of being deaf.  This method has  a high success rate for the
identification of bilaterally deaf pups, but admittedly isnt always as
effective in determining unilateral pups.  It can however, pinpoint a pup
that needs watching and perhaps further testing if necessary.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com