[pyrnet] Re: Male Pyr puppy challenge

Hi. Linda: In going through my old emails I noticed that there were no answers to your post so I have decided to add something now, sorry if it is a little late. I can only tell you that we have a wonderful 10 year old Pyr, Toby and a year ago we decided to bring in a sweet little 7 weeks old Golden, Hannah. I know that this is a different situation to the one you have but wanted to tell you how Toby felt about Hannah's arrival. To be honest it took many months before I felt that he was able to accept her as part of the family, he wasn't about to tear her limb from limb but wasn't the doting older dog that I was hoping for. When Toby was 10 weeks old, he joined a household of an older female Golden, a youngish male Golden and a Bernese in her middle years and they all accepted him readily, he in turn unfortunately rewarded them by being quite bossy, particularly with the male Golden, so I probably shouldn't have been too surprised by his lack of enthusiasm for Hannah. Now a year later after being very slow with their integration, Toby will play with her outdoors and thoroughly enjoy himself...I am more reluctant to let her loose around him too much inside the house because I don't really know his tolerance level and I do not want to put her in a situation where she will get hurt. He has "told her off" twice outside and I was able to intervene, Hannah shows no fear of him and we can tell she thinks he is the cats meow!! Both of your dogs are old, can you tell by their temperament how well they might accept a puppy. I know that Toby and Jake(Golden) had their first altercation when Toby was about 5 months old. Would you rethink this and allow your older boy to pass and then consider a puppy, I say this as it is a male that you are thinking of getting, your older female might do better with a male puppy. I am sorry to hear that you have this ahead of you, Jake the Golden also had bone cancer, he was 8 years old and we opted to have his leg removed but unfortunately he did not wake up after surgery.....

Jo, Toby and Hannah(Golden)