Re: [pyrnet] problem

Yes I see we aer gonna have to definitly up our fencing.. She is a very large pen with our other dog (a Rotweiller) right now.  But it will be next year before we get our sheep so I have some time to plan and construct. :)

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and help on this.. This is the first Great Pyr we have had--My mother in law has one.. She is a year old and just a big baby. :)

Janna

In a message dated 3/18/2005 7:47:53 PM Central Standard Time, jsmiller@newmex.com writes:
On 18 Mar 2005 at 9:39, Janna720@aol.com wrote:

> We live out in the country and while we do want her to guard our sheep
> when we get them, farmers around here shoot dogs if they come on their
> property.

If you want to keep Lady safe and give her the freedom to live, then you will need adequate fencing.  That really is the bottom line!  I will never forget the story about a Pyr who was a LGD on a large ranching operation in NM.  The propane truck came to deliver propane to this remote ranch and the Pyr was on the county road and was hit by the truck.
< the Pyr did live after surgery and a long recovery> So even though you live in the country, Lady is in danger of being injured by any vehicle. As to ranchers shooting dogs! It happens all the time and they don't seem to care if it's a LGD or not. I may sound harsh, but doing rescue I've seen TOO MANY Pyrs injured by vehicles and just recently a Pyr here, whose owners used electronic collars < that by the way did not prevent the Pyr from roaming> was shot by a neighboring rancher. Now as to the Pyr Paw...my Kazak never gave me the paw....until I taught him....then I had to teach him... NO PAW! :)