Re: [pyrnet] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.20050318-1

Hi Nancy:

Have you considered the possibility that NOT ENOUGH Pyrs with the right qualities are being bred? What would happen if EVERYONE spayed or neutered all of their Pyrs, even the ones with great Pyr traits and qualities? The only ones being bred would be coming from the Puppy Mills and The AKC Show Kennels. Perhaps too many Pyrs with good qualities are AUTOMATICALLY being spayed or neutered at an early age and never even evaluated for possible breeding later on in their life.

Food For Thought:

Terry Rickert

Nlduzan@aol.com wrote:

The problem being with all the poorly bred pyrs coming from puppy mills, ranch and farm breeders,<who are only concerned with the fast buck>, many of these pyrs do not have a good temperament!

    And that's so sad, but seems to be the way things happen when a breed becomes popular with the general pubic.  A mean Pyr, is not a normal Pyr.
    Too many people get a dog on impulse without adequate research about the breed, what can be expected, or the maintenance it requires.
    Ombre came from a farm breeder, where both her parents are working stock dogs.  She was 14 weeks old when we brought her home, and had been raised with chickens - actually sleeping with an old rooster.  Perfect guardian for our flock.  The extra time with her working parents (and the chickens) was especially valuable to us.  As we are not interested in breeding (had her spayed at 8 months) or showing, she is a wonderful dog for our needs.  We didn't even send her papers to AKC, so don't know her lineage, but she's a lovely specimen of the breed.

Nancy
www.hensteethandfroghair.com