Re: [pyrnet] breeding for the right qualities

I don't think anyone was suggesting that everyone spay or neuter their
dogs, of course we need people breeding who are concerned with the health
and temperament of the breed, just as with all breeds.

I believe that all of us, however, should be concerned about the dogs who
are being bred either for a quick buck (who would bother health testing or
be concerned with temperament if they're only going to be 'in the breed as
long as the profit margin is high enough?) or carelessly?

This is why it is important to educate everyone you can to know the
breeder, know what the health and temperament of siblings is, know that
health testing was done and clearances obtained, that the dog is a good
representative of the breed and that it can DO THE JOB THE BREED IS
supposed to be able to do. My apologies for shouting, but I have seen far
too many dogs in rescue that were impulse buys and totally inappropriate
for the family and housing situation (in combination, some people can make
apartment living with a large or active dog work well, others with lots of
space chain a dog to a tree and don't understand why the dog is unhappy or
aggressive), or dogs that were supposed to be working dogs who are blind or
have bad knees or are dysplastic.

I am extremely grateful to those breeders who go to the time and expense
and the emotional anguish to breed to better the health and temperament of
their lines. I know a number of breeders and I know what they go through to
ensure that their dogs have good homes and remain healthy and active and
loved. I have seen breeders shut down all breeding when negative traits
show up in their lines, and start over again after considerable evaluation
of ancestors, siblings and cousins of the dogs they are considering for
their breeding programs. These are the people that participate in field
trials and AKC shows and therapy programs and their local, regional and
national clubs.

Not all, but many of those who participate in AKC shows also participate in
field trials and other activities to test and hone the abilities of their
dogs. There was a piece during a recent televised show about one of the top
Pyrs who showed a couple of times each year but spent the rest of her time
doing her job with the flock. Show preparation (grooming) may have been a
little more of a challenge, but this was truly a working dog. I have seen
similar stories with Anatolians, Bernese, Newfies and other dogs. Some show
kennels certainly have little understanding of the working nature of the
breed, but that is not true of all, or even of the majority. Or maybe I
just hang out with the wrong crowd. <g>

Sorry, you hit a hot button.

Liz Caldwell
Lawrence, KS